Saturday 22 December 2012

Huchuy Qosqo

Day 52


After factoring in the cost,tour group availability and the concern of my travel buddy on altitude sickness while trekking, my travel buddy and I ended up doing a 2D1N Huchuy Qosqo trek  followed by a visit to Machu Picchu on the third day.

Huchuy Qosqo is an archaeological site located north of Cusco. The name " Huchuy Qosqo" means "Little Cusco" in Quecha (the language spoken by the Incas). It was believed that the eighth Inca King, Viracocha, built this  palace after running away from the Chancas who attacked Cusco. The palace is perched on a cliff that offers a panoramic view of the Sacred Valley and mountain passes.

Huchuy Qosqo



View of The Sacred Valley

Huchuy Qosqo trek is not as popular as other treks such as Salkantay, Lares or even Ausangate, but I still enjoyed myself immensely over those two days. We did not come across other trekkers along the way, and the trail we took consistently provides us with picturesque views of the mountains and valleys. Even though Huchuy Qosqo is rated as an easy trek, it is certainly no easy feat when you have to trek at 3,800m above sea level. Hence, imagine our joy when we finally crossed the high pass at 4,200m!

At the high pass

Gate with double corners signify an important area for the Incas

Accommodation for the night was with a local family up in the mountains. Our room was really basic and it only contained fours beds and one small light bulb.  Up here, the local community relies heavily on solar power for electricity. As November to March is the rainy season in Peru, this means there weren't much electricity that can be used and hence, no heaters and hot showers for us. By the time the sun sets, it was so cold that for the first time in my life, I can't be bothered with personal hygiene. For that night, I slept in my trekking clothes (excluding my rain jacket) and socks and neither did I wash my face nor brush my teeth.  Sounds yucky? Yes, but I survived. :)

The backyard

The kitchen and dining room

The toilet

No comments:

Post a Comment