Sunday 11 November 2012

Bogota - City of surprises

Day 1: 1 Nov 2012


After a gruelling 30 hours flight, I finally arrived in Bogota - the capital of Colombia.

​Instead of seeing an old, run down, dusty airport as I have imagined, I was pleasantly surprised when the Air France flight pulled up next to a brand new, glass building known as the El Dorado International Airport. The facilities available in this airport are similar to what you will commonly find in the airports of other major cities such as travelators, cafes, duty-free shops and etc. Immigration clearance was a breeze but due to a technical glitch in the belt system, I had to wait for about 20 mins before I can collect my checked-in bag. Since I have lots of time to spare, I have no major complaints over this little hold up.

​On my way to the hostel. The city sights that greeted me caught me by surprise again. Bogota streets are bustling with cars, buses, hawkers and of course, Colombians! There are big shopping centres, hypersupermarts, and even a huge gym just around the corner from where I'm staying. Once in a while, you will see the soldiers and policemen patrolling along the streets with their big guns. Instead of feeling uncomfortable by this sight, I felt reassured by their strong presence within the city centre.

​Twenty minutes later, I arrived at the La Pinta Hostel. La Pinta Hostel is located at the skirts of Zona G (also known as the Restaurant Zone), supposedly the safer neighbourhood in the city. I was given the bed at the top right hand corner where I would spend my next three nights. A huge locker is also provided where I can lock my personal stuffs. Even though this is a mixed dorm, I'm surprised to learn that there is only a man in my room for the first night. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment